Posts for tag: Hemorrhoids
Hemorrhoids--they've plagued you since your last pregnancy, flaring up and shrinking periodically. Right now, though, the pain and irritation is too intense, and you need relief. Your gastroenterologist in Hillsborough, NJ, Dr. Anubha Sinha, treats these swollen rectal veins right in her office comfortably and with no down time. You can feel better and be rid of this lower GI problem. Find out about her innovative treatments at Hunterdon Digestive Health Specialists.
What are hemorrhoids?
Just as some people develop varicose, or swollen veins, in their legs, other develop than in their anus and rectum because of:
- Simple aging
- Hereditary tendency
- Heavy lifting
- A diet low in fiber
- A sedentary lifestyle
Harvard Medical School says that millions of American adults suffer from hemorrhoids, and in fact, an occasional bout of GI complaint is an almost certainty for half of the population by age 50 and older.
In the past, over the counter and at-home remedies such as sitz baths and application of witch hazel and other topical treatments provided limited relief. In extreme cases, surgical excision or banding in the hospital worked to reduce and remove hemorrhoids. However, recovery time was significant.
Today, gastroenterologists such as Dr. Sinha at Hunterdon Digestive Health Specialists in Hillsborough, NJ, use in-office procedures to relieve the pain, swelling, itching and bleeding associated with hemorrhoids. Fortunately, these treatments need no sedation, no lengthy bowel preparation or recovery time, and are very effective. Dr. Sinha diagnoses hemorrhoids with simple visual inspection and digital rectal examination.
Innovative treatments at Hunterdon Digestive Health Specialists include:
- CRH O'Regan - In less than a minute, Dr. Sinha inserts a small instrument into the rectum and installs a tiny rubber band around the base of the hemorrhoid. The procedure is painless and causes the swollen vein to recede and drop off within a day or two, ending the uncomfortable symptoms patients typically experience.
- Infrared coagulation, or IRC - A small probe delivers infrared light to the base of the hemorrhoid. It recedes and falls off in much the same way as with the CRH O'Regan treatment.
- HET (Hemorrhoid Energy Therapy) - Generally combined with sigmoidoscopy under sedation at the hospital. This technique involves the use of gentle tissue compression and heat by using a safe energy form of radiofrequency. Takes 8-12 seconds on average to treat one hemorrhoid. All hemorrhoids can be treated in one visit. Results in rapid recovery.
Sometimes, you just can't. Some people are more prone to develop piles than others are. However, it helps to:
- Keep a healthy weight
- Eat a high fiber diet
- Use over the counter anti-hemorrhoidal medications at the first sign of trouble
- Stay well-hydrated to avoid constipation
- Take a warm bath to soothe irritated anal tissues
If you suffer from hemorrhoids, contact Hunterdon Digestive Health Specialists for an appointment. You can find relief from this painful condition. For an appointment at either the Farmington or Hillsborough office, call (908) 788-8200.