The foods you consume impact all your bodily systems--not just your GI tract. At Hunterdon Digestive Health Specialists in Flemington and Hillsborough, NJ, gastroenterologist, Dr. Anubha Sinha, promotes healthy digestive eating habits for all her patients, no matter their stage in life.
You are what you eat
It's an old adage but so true. Your gastroenterologist at Hunterdon Digestive Health Specialists in Flemington and Hillsborough, NJ, sees her patients' health and well-being improve when they make simple lifestyle changes. The differences in mood, energy level, sleep patterns, productivity, and more are noticeable and measurable. With the right nutrients delivered at correct intervals in the proper amounts, gastrointestinal health and all it drives thrive.
Healthy digestive eating habits
The following practices will put your entire GI tract on notice to guard and optimize your systemic, oral, and mental health.
- Aim for clean food. That's food which is as natural as possible and not overly processed. Eliminate sugar, artificial sweeteners, excess sodium, and red meat (and other sources of saturated fats) as much as possible.
- Increase both soluble and insoluble fiber. Fruits, grains, and vegetables are good sources, reports Healthline. Fiber cleans out the colon and helps you absorb beneficial nutrients and water.
- Eat low-fat proteins such as fish and poultry.
- Drink a lot of water--up to two liters if possible, advises the National Institutes of Health.
- Eat slowly, paying attention to what you are eating. If you race through your dinner absent-mindedly, you're less likely to enjoy it and may consume more than you need.
- Eat yogurt regularly to increase beneficial bacteria in your gut.
- Schedule your meals and snacks at the same time daily.
- Maintain your weight within normal limits.
- Exercise three to five times a week.
- Find ways to manage stress. Anxiety speeds up digestion and limits nutrient absorption.
- Limit alcohol and caffeine. Stop all tobacco usage.
Learn more about digestive health
At Hunterdon Digestive Health Specialists, Dr. Sinha and her professional team help patients achieve their best GI health through prevention: healthy lifestyle habits which promote efficient digestion and elimination. To learn more, please call our Flemington or Hillsborough, NJ, locations at (908) 788-8200.