March is Colorectal Cancer Awareness Month
Together we can take a stand to end the third leading cause of cancer-related deaths!
HAVE YOU HAD YOUR COLON CANCER SCREENING?
With so many people being misdiagnosed or diagnosed too late, the colonoscopy procedure is a safe and easy method for colon cancer prevention. Tolerable bowel prep is now available in many forms each selected for patients individual needs. During your procedure, you will be sedated by our Board Certified Anesthesiologist assuring your safety is key.
Colorectal cancer is the third leading cause of cancer-related deaths in men and women in the United States. It's expected to cause about 50,630 deaths during 2018. EARLY DETECTION SAVES LIVES!
Not sure when to get your screening? Here are some guidelines:
-Surveillance Colonoscopies should start at age 50
-Those of African American, Hispanic, or Asian descent should start colon cancer screenings at age 45
-Those with strong family history of colon cancer
-Those with personal history of cancer
-Experiencing some of the following:
- Change in frequency of bowel movements
- Change in consistency of stool (loose or watery stools)
- Blood in stools (either as bright red spots or dark "tarry" stools)
- Rectal bleeding
- Abdominal pain (bloating, gas or cramps)
- Feeling you cannot completely empty your bowels
As per American Cancer Society Research, Colon Cancer and rectal cancer is on the rise among young and middle-aged adults in the US. Be aware and safeguard yourself by being knowledgeable about the facts. Those born in 1990 have double the risk of colon cancer and quadruple the risk of rectal cancer.
More survey results include:
- 15% reported that an emergency room visit led to a colonoscopy and their diagnosis
- 62% did not have a family history of colorectal cancer
- 67% saw at least two doctors before being diagnosed with cancer
- 71% were diagnosed with colon cancer, and 20% were diagnosed with rectal cancer
- 82% were initially misdiagnosed before ultimately being diagnosed with colorectal cancer
Remember, if your unsure or have questions, call us to schedule your personal one-on-one consult with Dr. Sinha. Let her knowledge and experience guide you to assuring your optimal health and wellness.
We offer convenient day/evening hours at two of our convenient office locations, Saturday procedure, and appointment availability, and Dr. Sinha performs her procedures in two states of the art facilities.